What is the Cumbria Youth Commission?
The Cumbria Youth Commission provides young people in Cumbria with a unique opportunity to work alongside the Police and Crime Commissioner, allowing them to jointly address issues important to them.
The Cumbria Youth Commission enables young people to support, challenge and voice young people’s opinions from across Cumbria, helping to shape policies and influence decisions that affect them.
The aim of establishing Cumbria Youth Commission is so that the Police and Crime Commissioner can work in partnership with young people to;
- Address the most urgent priorities effecting young people.
- Enhance the county’s response to matters relating to policing and crime and their effects on young people.
- Train peer educators and researchers to provide peer education to young people on the priority areas and to gain their views on the issues.
- Work alongside the Police and Crime Commissioner to help develop the response and approach to young people for the Police and Crime Plan and advise on the commissioning of services aimed at children and young people.
- As much as possible, to bring together learning from existing work within the county on the priority issues to enhance the working knowledge of the Cumbria Youth Commission and avoid duplication.
- To support and challenge the work of the Police and Crime Commissioner.
What are this year’s priorities?
Members of the current Cumbria Youth Commission have identified the following areas they are passionate about tackling:-
Year 1 2017: Cumbria Youth Commissions priorities for Year 1.
- Hate Crime
- Mental Health
- Underage drinking
Year 2 2018: Cumbria Youth Commissions priorities for Year 2
- Drink Driving
- Abusive Relationships
- Child Exploitation
- New Psychoactive Substances
Recommendations and findings from 2016/17
Please read the Cumbria Youth Commission first year report to find out what has been impacting on young people across Cumbria. Last year the Cumbria Youth Commission focused on hate crime, bullying, mental health and underage drinking. Initial findings and recommendations were reported to a Multi-Agency Forum on the 19th December 2017.
Cumbria Youth Commission Campaigns
For updates on Cumbria Youth Commission campaigns and progress against Year 1 Recommendations please click on the below icons.
Other Initiatives and Projects:
Alongside the main priorities for this year the CYC have also been active in undertaking work with a variety of different aims and themes, some of which are continuations of the first years recommendations and others that benefit young people by providing opportunities that enrich their experience as part of the CYC.
Please click on the link for information around other initiatives and projects:
How you can get involved?
You can watch a recent video from That’s TV about Cumbria Youth Commission here
Do you live in Cumbria? Are you between the ages of 14 and 25? Would you like to have your say on policing and crime in Cumbria?
Cumbria Youth Commission is currently looking for new members.
If you are interested in being part of Cumbria Youth Commission, please complete the below application form. The closing date for this recruitment drive is Friday 26 January. However, applications after that date can still be sent as there will be other opportunities in future, and applications will be considered then.